On June 26 & 27 in Stanford, California, URI convenes an unprecedented international gathering of grassroots leaders and policy makers from around the world for the Accelerate Peace Conference,
WHAT:On June 26 & 27 in Stanford, California, URI convenes an unprecedented international gathering of grassroots leaders and policy makers from around the world for the Accelerate Peace Conference, exploring interfaith strategies for global and local peacebuilding.
WHERE:Hoover InstitutionDavid & Joan Traitel BuildingStanford University Campus435 Lasuen Mall
WHO:URI’s Accelerate Peace Conference keynote speakers and panelists include:
- Kehkashan Basu, Founder/President of Green Hope Foundation
- H.E. Adama Dieng, UN Secretary-General’s Special Adviser on the Prevention of Genocide
- Dr. Azza Karam, Senior Advisor on Culture at the United Nations Population Fund
- Audrey Kitagawa, Chair of the Parliament of the World’s Religions
- Valarie Kaur, Human Rights Activist and founder of The Revolutionary Love Project
- The Rev. Victor Kazanjian, Executive Director of URI
- Rabbi Daniel Lehmann, President of the Graduate Theological Union
- Sadhvi Bhagawati Saraswati, Secretary General of the Global Interfaith WASH Alliance
- The conference will also feature a special keynote conversation entitled “A Bishop and a General Talk about Peace” between former Secretary of Defense, General James N. Mattis, and The Right Rev. William E. Swing, Founder and President of URI.
WEB / FULL PROGRAM:
WHY:URI works in 109 countries through local and global initiatives that build the capacity of over 1000 member groups and organizations, called Cooperation Circles. These groups engage in community action such as conflict resolution and reconciliation, environmental sustainability, education, women’s and youth programs, and advocacy for human rights.