Dia de la Feria Brings Latin Beat to San Mateo
media contact: David Perry & Associates, Inc. (415) 676-7007 / email@example.com
Dia de la Feria Brings Latin Beat to San Mateo County Fair: Sunday, June 19
Family Friendly Day of Spanish Language Culture and Music Closes Out
West Coast’s Largest County Fair: June 11 – 19
Tickets Now On-Sale: Gold Circle Concert Seating, Pre-sale Discount and the
Fair Season-Pass Available Now Through June 1st!
hashtag: # SMCF2016
28 April 2016 – San Mateo, CA: On Sunday, June 19, attendees to The San Mateo County Fair (www.sanmateocountyfair.com) will feel like they crossed the southern border to hear the finest in Latin music! That’s because the Fair’s closing day is one of the most popular dates on the South Bay cultural calendar with a wide ranging celebration of the best in Latino and Hispanic music: Dia de la Feria featuring the stylings of the Latin GRAMMY nominated Los Guardianes del Amor, the Latin Pop of Industria del Amor, the rock of Mi Banda el Mexicano and the increasingly well-known standards of Los Tiranos del Norte from Mexicali.
“More than anything, the San Mateo County Fair is a celebration of community,” says Chris Carpenter, SVP and General Manager of the San Mateo County Event Center. “San Mateo is one of the most diverse areas in the Bay Area. Dia de la Feria is one way we celebrate that diversity.”
“Nothing is more fun than Dia De La Feria and the music,” notes Kaitlyn Bailey-Findley, in charge of audience development, anxious to remind fairgoers to tweet out using the hashtag: #SMCF2016. “San Mateo and the Bay Area proudly celebrates the cultural diversity of our citizens and our musicians. You don’t have to speak Spanish to enjoy Spanish-language music.”
Sponsors for the 2016 Concert Series at the San Mateo County Fair are: Coors Light, Blue Moon, Gold Rush Getaways, Sleeptrain Mattress Centers, Lifetime, First Choice Communications, Bay Area Air Quality Managment District, Welk Resorts, xfinity, Paradise Spas, SamTrans and the Monterey Bay Aquarium.
Leading up to the wildly popular Dia de la Feria closing concerts are eight days of equally incredible music on the main stage, concert offerings for which the San Mateo Fair has become rightly famous: Night Ranger (June 11); Lone Star (June 12); The Boys of Summer – Eagles Tribute Band (June 13); Kansas (June 14); Tower of Power (June 15 & 16); The Spinners (June 17) and The Peninsula Symphony (June 18). Emphasizing its culinary and mixology offerings this year, Liam Mayclem, internationally recognized “Foodie Chap” of KCBS Radio fame, will kickoff the Fair’s opening day.
In addition to the previously mentioned Free Concerts there will be plenty for fairgoers to enjoy — traditional and innovative — including but not limited to the following:
• Butterfly Adventures, where kids can feed butterflies and Pirate Captain Spareribs, a fun filled pirate adventure.
• Fair Food – From monster size BBQ Turkey legs to everyone’s favorite Funnel Cake, as well as an array of Healthy Food Fare – Our Healthy Food Fare initiative is back with healthy choices being provided by many Fair vendors. But don’t worry: your Fair favorites will still be available from barbeque to funnel cake.
• Science, Technology, DIY Science Exhibits are back – Young people get hands on experience with innovative new concepts and devices such as 3-D printers. See how much fun a Do-It-Yourself environment can be for kids! In addition, 4-H, Future Farmers of America (FFA), painting, fine art, cooking, literary arts, cooking and healthy eating are just part of the fun.
• Free Grounds Acts – We’re excited to present the debut of the life-size Mousetrap, first introduced at MakerFaire and a huge hit. The 16-piece, 25 ton replica of the classic board game delivers a unique brand of engineering entertainment to kids of all ages. Combining Newtonian physics, performers and good old fashioned elbow grease, the life-size mouse trap utilizes all the six simple machines made from common materials to navigate eight pound bowling balls around a kinetically-driven course. In addition the Fairgoer will see traditional pony rides, pig races, characters strolling throughout the grounds, and much more. This year, new offerings include hypnotist Kellie Karl-Hypnotist, San Francisco street performers, Chef Landry, the Great American Petting Zoo and AgVenture and the “All Alaskan Racing Pigs. ”
• Carnival Rides including The Freak Out is Back! The Fair introduced this new carnival ride in 2014. It flies passengers 40 feet into the air. The Freak Out joins Fair favorites like the Ferris Wheel, Zillerator, and roller coasters
Now through June 1, Pre-Sale Discounted All-Season-Passes are available online: $22 adult; $ 18 junior and senior. The purchase a season pass includes all nine days of the Fair and all concerts, exhibits and attractions.
The San Mateo County Fair — “Where Tradition Meets Innovation” — is The Peninsula’s premier, community event for family fun and entertainment: June 11 – 19, 2016. Visit www.sanmateocountyfair.com often for regular updates, contest rules, schedules, promotions, and information.